LED lighting technology is quickly replacing traditional incandescent and compact fluorescent bulbs. An LED, or light emitting diode, is more efficient than filaments and other components of older light bulbs. Here are a few reasons to consider installing LED lights in your home or business.
A conventional bulb converts only 20% of its energy into light. The rest is lost as heat. On the other hand, LED lighting is as much as 80% to 90% efficient. Nearly all the electrical energy drawn by the product is converted into light. This may save you hundreds of dollars in the cost of electricity over a single year, allowing you to take advantage of the perks of an energy efficient home.
The 2013 California Energy Efficiency Standard, or Title 24, applies to every new construction and renovation project in the state. By using LED products, you can meet or exceed the requirements outlined in this standard. The standard also covers indoor and outdoor lighting controls, electrical power distribution systems, and building energy performance in general.
Some LED bulbs can operate continuously for 100,000 hours. That is 11 years of nonstop lighting, but if you use LED lights for just half of each day, you might get more than 20 years of use out of them. On the other hand, many conventional bulbs may last months or less. If you want to install lighting in a stairwell or other tight area, efficient lighting is the way to go.
LED’s come in many sizes and configurations. From single to multiple diodes in a single compact package, LED lighting can consist of multiple arrays of light sources. Color temperature is another factor. The correlated color temperature (CCT) of a light usually falls between 2,700 to 6,500 Kelvin, the lower number being warmer or more yellow and the higher numbers representing colder, bluer light (by comparison, the noontime sun in a clear sky is about 5,500K). You can, therefore, find LED lights for many environments and purposes.
Traditional bulbs offer few options to manage light distribution, but LED lighting can direct light to where you want it. You can, therefore, choose to accent certain centerpieces or parts of a room. In addition to accuracy, LED lights can be easily dimmed, allowing the user to select how much light they want at once.
Compatibility with Existing Sockets
LED bulbs are available as replacements to traditional lights, so can, therefore, fit into a socket you already have. However, different bulbs are designed for different sized sockets. You can’t just fit any new bulb into whatever socket you have. Replace an existing socket if it looks worn, damaged, or corroded or contact a professional if you believe electrical repairs are needed.
Compatibility with New Technology
For maximum technological advantages, choose smart LED bulbs. Programmable ones can be controlled via your smartphone. Some even change colors to accommodate the desired mood and effect. Such bulbs are costlier than standard LED products, but the benefits can be well worth it depending on your needs.
Contact a Los Angeles Electrician for Energy Efficiency Improvements
Widely considered the best electrician to ensure home safety and efficiency, Express Electrical Services can troubleshoot, fix, and resolve any electrical issues you have. We serve Los Angeles, Orange County, and Riverside County as well as the rest of Southern California. If you have an electrical emergency or want LED lights and other efficiency improvements professionally completed, contact us today to request prompt, dependable service.
Express Electrical Services serves all of Southern California, including Los Angeles County, Orange County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County & Ventura County. Our electricians offer a variety of electrical services & home safety services and we have a 60-90* minute response time on most services.
We guarantee same day response time for requests for emergency electrical services received before noon,
Monday through Saturday; our service within 60 minutes guarantee is subject to availability of electricians, and unless we have advised you at the time of the service call of a delay, if we do not arrive within 60 minutes of the end of our call with the Customer, the initial service call fee will be waived. We cannot guarantee same-day service or service within one hour on Sundays, but will do our best to respond to emergency service calls on Sundays, subject to electrician availability; there will be no waiver of the initial service call fee on Sundays. License: #992260