Rewiring a House
Rewiring a home is delicate work and requires the skill of a trained electrician. At Express Electrical Services, we specialize in home rewiring to provide updates, upgrades, and ensure your house is safe and up to code.
Do I Need to Rewire My Home?
Our Southern California electricians help homeowners with all their electrical needs. No matter how big or small the project is, we can get the job done. The first step is to determine whether you need to rewire your home, which involves removing aging, inefficient, and even unsafe wiring and electrical devices.
Here’s when you’ll need to upgrade the wiring in your home:
- Your Home Was Built Prior to 1950: If so, it probably has cloth insulated wiring, which is prone to sparking and causing fires. You could be shocked by touching it.
- A Renovation Was Done in the 1960s or 1970s: Aluminum wiring was installed during this time. It is a fire hazard and much less efficient than copper wiring.
- You Often Rely on Extension Cords: These should be used only to meet temporary electrical demands. Frequent use can cause fires, especially since many cords have bad connections or are the wrong size.
- Wiring Is Not Grounded: Excess current is a common cause of home electrical fires. All outlets should support three-prong grounded plugs; grounding diverts excess electricity out of your house.
- Symptoms of Electrical Trouble: If you often have tripped breakers, flickering/dimming lights, a persistent burning odor, sparking/warm/discolored outlets, or a tingling sensation when touching an appliance, it may be time for an upgrade.
What Should I Expect When Rewiring a Home?
When you contact us about rewiring a house, we’ll ask a few questions and provide a general estimate. Our licensed technicians will visit your home to assess your needs. We’ll make sure there are no surprises once we get started. The condition of your electrical system and power demands will be fully evaluated. We’ll also obtain a permit, which ensures the work is done by a qualified electrician, is fully inspected, and is safe and up to code.
A rewiring project may take a few days to a week, depending on the project. It may or may not require breaking through walls. That depends on how your home was built. If we need to break through walls, we’ll remove as small a portion as possible, clean up, and make repairs after your new wiring is installed. Power will be turned off as well, so plan accordingly, as parts of your house won’t have electricity while we work.
What Is the Cost to Rewire a House?
The cost to rewiring any home depends on many factors. Square footage is one; the larger your home, the more it will cost to do a complete rewiring. If some of your existing wiring can be preserved, it might cut down some costs. The condition of your electrical system, number of outlets needed, and use of conduits for wires can impact the total price.
One advantage to rewiring a house is that it can increase the value of your home. This is a consideration because you can get a higher selling price from a buyer. On the other hand, trying to sell your home with old wiring can prevent a lender from approving a mortgage loan, convince a potential buyer to move on, and lead to denial of insurance coverage. In fact, rewiring can reduce your homeowner’s insurance premium.
When to Call an Electrician
Home rewiring requires a lot of knowledge and work. Getting a permit, mapping out your circuits, and doing all the cutting, drilling, and running wires yourself can take several weeks. There may also be complicating factors and issues you run into that can be dangerous. It’s best to leave the dirty work to trained technicians. If you’re considering an update or not sure if your home needs to be rewired, consult with an electrician who is trained, licensed, and insured. This means they’re prepared for the job and can handle any issues that arise.
Contact Express Electrical Services
Our team can install any type of new wiring, replace knob and tube wiring, and install ground fault interrupt circuits. If you need an electrical panel upgrade or kitchen appliances installed, we can help there too. From the service entrance cable and meter socket to switches, outlets, and dimmers, we will properly install every electrical component that is wired. If you are considering rewiring a home, contact Express Electrical Services at 323-727-7799 for an estimate and to learn about our specials and financing.