As the temperature starts to rise, so does the electricity bill. Due to a variety of factors, summertime home bills are often much higher than home bills during any other season. Below, we’ll look at some of the factors that cause your electricity bill in the summer to be so high as well as some tips on how to save money during the summer.
Why Summertime Home Bills are So High
It’s only natural that your electricity bill is higher in the summer since your air conditioning unit is having to work harder to keep your home cool when the outside temperature spikes. However, there are a few factors that can cause your summertime home bills to be even higher than normal. These factors include:
- Drafts that allow warm air to leak into your house
- Clogged filters and ducts that cause your AC unit to work even harder
- Electric pumps running in a backyard pool
- Failing to use the energy saver mode on window air conditioning units
All of these factors can contribute to an electricity bill in the summer that may surprisingly high. The good news is that there are things you can do to lower your summertime home bills.
How to Save Money During the Summer
If you are looking for ways to lower your electricity bill during the summer, there are a few great options you have available. These include:
- Check all your vents, ducts, windows, and doors for air leaks. If you find an air leak, fill it with caulk
- Set the temperature in your home a little higher and wear lighter clothing to stay cool. The lower you set the temperature, the harder your AC unit has to work
- Change the filter in your AC unit every 2-3 months and clean your ducts to remove any debris that may be present
- Many appliances will use electricity the entire time they are plugged in, even if they are not in use. Appliances that do not need to be plugged in at all times such as TVs, hair dryers, phone chargers, and more can be unplugged when not in use to cut down on electricity usage
- Cook outside on a grill to avoid using electricity in your oven and to keep the heat from your oven from heating up your home
- Install energy efficient AC units, refrigerators, and other appliances in your home
How Express Electrical Services Can Help
At Express Electrical Services, we understand the importance of helping families in California lower their electricity bill during the summer as much as possible. To help you keep your summertime home bills low, we can ensure your HVAC unit is properly wired. If you would like to learn more about how Express Electrical Services can assist you in lowering your electricity bill during the summer, we invite you to contact us today.