10 Facts About Power You Probably Didn’t Know

You use power every time you flick a switch, press a button, or turn on a TV, stereo, or computer. But how much do you really know about it? In this blog, we will uncover some interesting facts about power and electricity that may be unfamiliar.

  • 1. Electricity Has Always Existed: Benjamin Franklin was not the inventor of electricity. He merely experimented with it and found there were positive and negative charges. Batteries, motors, and light bulbs can harness and consume electricity but don’t create it. Even ancient Greek philosophers were aware of the existence of static electricity (the word “energy” comes from the Greek word “energeia”, which refers to a “state of being at work”).
  • 2. Other Energy Sources Were Used Before Electricity: Before about 5,000 years ago, civilization primarily used fire as a source of energy. The first natural gas light was invented in 1821, and the first gasoline-powered car was built in 1892. In 1882, the first power plant was built by Thomas Edison; it powered 85 buildings in New York City.
  • 3. The U.S. Has Three Separate Power Grids: The Eastern Interconnection, Western Interconnection, and Texas Interconnected System all work independently of one another to supply electricity to their respective regions.
  • 4. There Are Lots of Electrical Line Workers: There were 230,400 line installers and repairers in the U.S. in 2021, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The profession was growing at a rate of 6%.
  • 5. Power Lines Are Everywhere: There are over 450,000 miles of power lines in the United States, including 160,000 miles of overhead transmission lines. While many have weather-resistant coatings, 90% of power lines don’t have electrical insulation.
  • 6. Idling Uses A Lot of Electricity: On average, 75% of the electricity used by electronics is consumed when they’re off. A desktop computer consumes 80 watts while idling. A laptop consumes 20 watts. More electricity is consumed by idling devices than all the solar panels in America combined.
  • 7. An Hour of Solar Energy Can Power the World for a Year: That’s 3.85 million exajoules, or 70% of the solar energy the Earth absorbs via the ground, water vapor, dust, particles, and ozone. Most of the remaining 30% is reflected in space. 
  • 8. One Wind Turbine Can Supply Power to 1,400 Homes: A 2.5-megawatt turbine can generate that much electricity. The electricity it produces can run a computer for over 2,000 years or be used to make 230 million cups of tea!
  • 9. Googling Consumers a Bit of Power: In fact, performing just 10 Google searches consumes enough energy to power a 60-watt light bulb. Consider there are about 40,000 searches every second and roughly 3.5 billion in a day!
  • 10. The Demand for Energy Keeps Growing: In the U.S., it doubles every 20 years. World energy consumption, between 2008 and 2030, was expected to jump over 55%. Half the electricity produced in the U.S. comes from coal.

Contact Express Electrical Services

We hope you find these facts about power to be inspiring. You can always count on Express Electrical Services for high-quality electrical repair, installation, re-wiring, and automation services. Our team of licensed electricians can also provide everything from electrical panel upgrades to home safety services and ceiling fan or EV charger installation. We can also respond 24/7 in case of an emergency. Call us at 323-727-7799.